Ask Me Anything Answered – Prada Saffiano Lux Tote!

Anonymous asked: Hi! Any thoughts on the Prada saffiano lux tote? I’m planning on getting one but not too sure which colour or size to get! Please help! p.s. thank you for having such a fun and inspirational blog!! You are amazing <;3

Hi! You are too kind! Thank-you so much for your lovely words! I am so glad you asked this question as I love my Prada saffiano leather bags.

Durability / Maintenance
Personally I think that the saffiano leather is one of the most durable leathers that you can find for a bag so you are definitely on the right track if you want something that is easy to maintain and that would last! It would be good if all that hard earned $$$ spent went into something of quality right? We also find the leather easy to keep clean if you decide to go with a lighter color. So far, we haven’t had any problems with color transfer from jeans or colored clothing.

Colors
Picking a color for the bag was THE HARDEST part! One minute I thought the teal looked amazing. Then the next minute it was the red. Soon thereafter the caramel! It was just a never ending process! I definitely recommend looking in your wardrobe to see which color would match your clothes the most. Surprisingly, I actually found blue (which is beautiful) a really hard color to match if you have colorful block clothing . If the majority of your wardrobe is a neutral color palette then you are probably safe with any color such as red or caramel which are both GORGEOUS!

To get maximum wear out of the bag, i.e. suitable for work as well as play, we would suggest the color Argilla as pictured below. This is a beautiful mushroom color which is a shade darker than grey and is perfect for work as it is not too bright. You can also match this with practically any color clothing you have in your wardrobe when you take it out for a spin on the weekends. As always, you can never go wrong with black either! It is a classic!

Argilla
Caramel
Teal / Red

Size
This is another hard decision (yes,I know – such terrible first world problems we have!). I think it is best to choose the size of the bag based on your height and size and also your intended use. If you are petite like us and you want to use it mainly for play (of course you can bring it to work too) I would recommend getting the small size (which also comes with the shoulder straps). It is also obviously lighter in weight if you’re considering practicalities. However, if you want that powerful professional career woman look I would suggest the medium size which can fit A4 paper. We personally think it is more of a work bag once it hits the medium size and would reduce the range of wear of the bag during the weekend.

Small

Medium / Large

Hope this helps and let me know what you end up deciding! =)

Elle

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on Pinterest

74 Comments

1. Really amazing bag. I love prada but first I want to have a chanel 2.55 and then something else.

zolicious

2. I ended up going with the caramel in the medium size. I’m fairly tall (170cm) so I thought the size would be fine. The hardest part was definitely the colour, originally I wanted argilla then I saw the caramel on your post and fell in love but when I went in stores I couldn’t decide between black or caramel (lol, decisions, decisions). The style and colour is gorgeous and you guys are right – the leather is amazing, it definitely does feel durable. Thank you so much for all your help <3

3. hello, is the small one BN1801?

• Yes it is BN1801! :)

• Thank you. It looks great on you. I’m debating whether i should get BN 1801 or BV2274, and in grey or cammeo. I like cammeo more but i can get this bn1801 for 10% off :). I think the grey one in this link is Pomice. http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524446241203&R=8005076031295&P_name=Prada&sid=13913E13182B&Ntt=prada+saffiano&N=0&bmUID=jAj201k
        I’m really petite and normally don’t carry lots of stuffs. I need your opinion please :)

• Hi! Thank you – the Prada Saffiano Lux Tote is a great bag! Personally, I prefer the Pomice as I’m not a big fan of the Cammeo color but that is a pure personal preference. I feel the Cammeo color is a little too girly and a younger color. I believe the BN2274 is slightly bigger than the BN1801. If you are petite and won’t be carrying lots of stuff I would probably recommend the BN1801. I think it is more practical and also lighter if you are intending on carrying the bag on your shoulders as it comes with a shoulder strap. I manage to fit heaps into my BN1801 – wallet, keys, glasses, sunglasses, bottle of water and there is still room to fit more in! Also, to be honest – I probably won’t be able to tell much of a difference between the BN1801 and BV2274 unless I look at both of them side by side. I hope this helps you make your choice!!! =) Shoot me an email if you require more help as I completely understand what you are going through! =)
          Elle

4. thanks a bunch for this! have the saff Lux BN1844 in black and i abso adoreeeee it <3 … now getting another one so deciding which color- only ones available in canada are red, blue, argilla, pomice (light grey). was hoping for the cameo but its not available :( sucks. any thoughts on argilla vs. pomice….? ps- the pic above looks like the pomice and not argilla, like you've mentioned. think argilla is much darker?

• Hello! No problems at all! It is a beautiful bag isn’t it? The argilla is more like a mushroom color and the pomice is a really pale grey. When placed side by side the Argilla is quite a bit darker than the pomice. However, if you look at the Argilla on its own – it’s actually not that dark. Between the argilla and pomice – I prefer the Argilla, the Pomice looks a little like an Argilla that has faded or lost its vibrance if that makes sense. If you like the cameo keep an eye out on saks or neimanmarcus – they usually do stock quite a few saffiano lux totes! =)
      Elle

5. thanks for your reply! unfortunately canada has one store in toronto and even though Holt Renfrew stocks Prada (similar to saks and NM in the US), they only stock black. Funny coz you’d think Canada would have a bigger market than that! ….. so its between the Argilla and pomice now. already have a black saff lux so dont want anything that looks similar in color (nothing dark).
    keep you posted :) will upload a pic soon! x

• Hello! No worries at all! =) You won’t go wrong with either color – just think about which color will match your wardrobe more =) It’s funny how you have the tote in black because if I ever get a second lux tote I would definitely be getting the medium size in black…it is absolutely gorgeous!! Let me know how you go and pls send me a pic! =)))
      Elle

6. just ordered the Cameo!!!!! :) cant wait to have it on my arm.. will post a pic asap!!! <3 #PradaLove

• Congrats hun!! I can’t wait to see it! <3 <3 <3!!!!!! =)
      Elle

7. heyyy! how do i upload a pic here? just got the BN1844 cameo! :) some comments:

1. Color– the cameo is infact much darker than the website shows.. its light pink in the day but darker at night.. almost light apricot kinda’… i really like this coz it goes with all color clothes. but i will say that the super light pink bag on the website is a little deceptive.
    2. Always better to get it from a Prada store– I had my bag shipped to me from the UK online store as it was the only one with the cameo, and because of the paper packaging and soft malleable saff leather, i need to flatten the bag into shape from the sides- seems a tad lumpy on one side because of the paper packaging that had been stuffed inside for days while it shipped.

nevertheless LOVE this color and the bag- let me know how i can upload a pic! :)

• Hi hi! Congrats on the purchase!! We can’t wait to see it! Send it over to me at elle@startwithblack.com and I can upload it! =)

8. Hi, I’m thinking about buying BN1801 but still deciding which colour I should go for between Argilla and Pomice. In Prada e-store website, there is also another grey called Clay Grey and I was wondering if it this the same colour as Argilla. Some websites say they are the same, some say it is Pomice and some say it is neither, so now I’m totally confused LOL Please help! Thank you in advance :)

• Hi! :) Hmm.. I’m actually not quite sure myself what color Clay Grey is but according to the Purse Forum (http://forum.purseblog.com/prada/saffiano-luxe-tote-light-grey-or-clay-grey-741083.html) – the clay grey is Argilla. Personally, I prefer Argilla over Pomice as I think the the color of Argilla is richer. I have Argilla and personally I have never regretted it – it goes with almost anything in my wardrobe. I think Argilla is very very similar to a mushroom color whereas Pomice is a light grey. So it really depends on which color you like better but I would definitely recommend you see the bags in real life first before making your decision! Elle

• Thanks Elle! Argilla in your pics looks great! Would like to ask you one more thing. There is also another model which is quite similar to the BN1801 but with the a middle compartment and magnetic clip on top. Do you know if it comes in the same size as BN1801 and what its code is?

• Hi! I’ve asked and searched around but unfortunately I couldn’t find the code or the sizes they have for the bag you mentioned =(. I will continue searching and if I find it I will reply to this comment thread. Soz couldn’t be of much help for this one.
          Elle

• That’s ok Elle you have been a great help already :) will definitely hunt down for the BN1801 in Argilla. Hope it is still available somewhere in the UK :) Thank you so much!

9. i would go for the Argilla as well :) saw both Pomice and Argilla in the store recently, and Argilla looks richer. Pomice looks kinda’ washed out.

10. i loveeee the cornflower blue too! such a great color. that just might be my next prada early next year.. luckily one can order from the website coz i havent seen it in any stores. the saff lux is just so classic. never once when the bag doesnt get stared at… infact, my mom thinks its “classier” than the hermes birkin!

11. hey guys.. need quick opinion–
    BLUETTE or PAPAYA?

• Hey! I love Bluette – it might not be the easiest color to match your clothing with but we love it! I would choose Bluette over Papaya. =)

12. Ijust bought a Bn2274 and it feel it is a little big for me. I also have a Lady dior 5 quilts. I am thinking to exchange to bn1801?? Do u know the weight of each bag ??? Can 1801 fit ipad???

13. yupppp! somehow as much as i try to wrap my head around papaya, just not clicking. i loveeee the bluette but ts obviously harder to match w colors. that said, i feel like the same clothes that match w orange match w my cameo and other red-tone bags, so better to do something different like bluette. would you “contrast” blue with other colors? or keep it mainly for blue clothes aka jeans etc.?

• Hiya!! Hmmm…I think I would definitely try contrasting it with other colors. It would go well with white, cream, black and grey. If you feel like being more experimental, perhaps try prints that has a touch of blue. I think that would be lovely too! =)

14. hey there, im planning to get this prada bag in either Cameo or Clay Grey colour, after reading your blog helps me to decide Clay Grey, im 22 and is the grey look old on me though? But im still confusing between the size, there is the new size now which is smaller than the BN1801. this is the link http://store.prada.com/en/FR/woman/handbags/totes/BN2316_NZV_F0572

im very pettie 1m58. and i dont carry lots of stuff with me as i intend to use the bag for going out and sometimes for work. could you give me an advice on the size please? thank you very much :)

• Hi Mimi! I dont think the clay grey color would look too old on you. Personally, I prefer Argilla over clay grey but javing said that they are similar in color. For myself, I wouldnt get a size smaller than BN1801. I am also rather petite myself and i think the BN1801 is a good size. Any sizes smaller than that you wont be able to fit much in it! Hope this helps!
      Elle :)

15. Hi there , what blue colour is better bluette or cobalt blue ? Im really confused.. Thanks

• I think bluette too! =)
      Elle

16. bluette!!! :)
    think it looks richer.

17. I just got the small saffiano double zip in black and I absolutely love it! It is my first designer bag and I can’t wait to show it off! I just want some help on the maintenance on this bag.. the care card says natural wax.. do you know what the options are?

18. Awesome review! :)

I recently purchased my own bag in September from the Prada Store in Venice. Along with the bag, they gave me a dust bag and the authenticity card (white card.) I have seen in other people’s reviews that they were given the style info card (the blue card) and the care card as well. I called up the Prada Store in Venice and asked why they didn’t give me the other 2 cards. I tried to ask them to ship them to me but they said that it’s store policy to NEVER issue the blue card with the style info to customers. They said that they can only send me the care card. I was wondering which cards you received when you purchased your bag?

Thanks!

19. Hi,
    Im going to buy a prada bag soon, I first had my heart set on the black colour – i think its so
    classic. But now that i have seen more pictures of the argilla colour..im liking this colour too! now this makes my decision abit harder. what colour is better black or argilla?

Also what size do you think will better suit me? Im 23, very tall and skinny, i was thinking the small size because i like that it comes with a strap… but the medium is only $60 more and does look good abit bigger too!
    whats your opinion? thanks for the advice :)

• Personally i prefer the smaller size with a shoulder strap. However, if you are going to use the bag for work then the medium is suitable. I love both the black and argilla! You wont go wron with either color! :)

• thanks for your advice, im going with the black colour and smaller size (BN1801) i wont be using the bag for work, its more for going out. i cant wait to get it! :)

• Yay!!!

20. Does the medium size come with the shoulder straps. Been on the prada site the whole day and still can’t figure it out. I want a medium size one with shoulder straps.

• Hi! I dont think the medium size comes with a shoulder strap.

21. This prada bags is kind of like a classic. I love your review, but I will still rather spend the money on Chanel.

22. Hi guys. I still have no luck finding the BN1801 in argilla. Apparently it’s not available in the UK anymore. Is there anyone know where the bag is still available? Thx.

23. Im stuck between red or teal in medium size? Or maybe black.. Help!!!

• I think black! You cant go wrong and u can take it to work too! :)

Elle

24. Hi, I ve been trying to order a BN1801 but its out of stovk in Europe. Should I go for BN2274? I am only around 5 feet

25. Hi
    What’s the number &colour of the bag in last pic?

26. I am planning to get mine tomorrow (yippeee!!) but still cant decide btwn the Military Green or the Pomice. I’d like the large (40cm) size, but they only have the 2 colours above in the 37cm….. Choices, choices…. Help!

27. Thank you for your post. This is a very helpful entry

28. Thank you for your post. This is a very helpful entry

29. hey ladies…. I need help….I can’t decide between the black or argile I’m in love with both….I was initially going for a black bag as I don’t really have a good black purse but then I saw the clay grey aka argile and I got confused. Any advice??

30. Dear Elle,

I just bought a Prada BN1801 in Cameo, and totally in love with it. I am positive with the color I chose but still debating whether I should exchange it with BN2274. I am Asian and have a petite figure just like any other Asian girls that are not that tall (I am about 5′-2″ or 158cm), and (116lbs or 53kg). The concerns I have is that I am really interested in using the shoulder strap but I feel the bag is a little too small if I want to wear it on hands (without the strap). At the same time, BN2274 is a little too big if I want to wear it with the straps. I am in a serious dilemma and hope you are the one that can help me. Last concern I may have is, would the BN1801 is too small for working? I mean, I dont have that much stuffs to put but the more space I have the more stuffs I can fit in. I just feel like the BN1801 is a little too playful and girly to wear for work, yes or no?

• Hi! I have the BN1801 and I wear it as a tote on my hand all the time and I don’t feel it’s too small. Also, I carry my bag to work as well and I don’t think it’s too small either unless you often have to carry A4 paper or folders. I think with your height and size stick to the BN1801. That is just my opinion but you need to be comfortable with the the bag you decide on. Good luck! Hope this helps! =) Elle xx

31. What is the difference between bn2316 and bn1801

32. What is the difference between bn1801 and bn2704?

33. What is the difference between bn1801 and bn2704?

34. sorry is bn2274

35. 2704 is bigger than 1801. 2704 size (L33H23.5W14.5cm) vs 1801(L30H20W13cm).

36. 2704 is bigger than 1801. 2704 size (L33H23.5W14.5cm) vs 1801(L30H20W13cm).

37. sorry not 2704 should be BN 2274 is big than 1801.

38. Hi! Thanks for the post! I just bought red prada 1844 and it really is amazing! I only have one problem.. I do not know how to care of bag :/ do i need some leather conditioner or something else or do i need anything at all? Thank you if you answer! :D

39. Hey! I was just wondering what size the Argilla bag is in the picture above?

40. Hi! May i ask if you guys know any online store that really sell a authentic prada bn1801?

41. Hi! May i ask if you guys know any online store that really sell a authentic prada bn1801?

42. I am trying to decide between the bn1801 and the bn2274 – and then today I discovered online a bn2316 – how is this bag different to the other two? Thanks!!

43. Ps Love this entry!! The photos are so helpful and the considerations.Thanks <3 I think I will go with black, but am going to try argilla. I am quite tall (180cm) but I really like the petite one, as I am very slender.

44. Ps Love this entry!! The photos are so helpful and the considerations.Thanks <3 I think I will go with black, but am going to try argilla. I am quite tall (180cm) but I really like the petite one, as I am very slender.

45. Hi,
    I just bought a bn2274 in marble color (with the silver hardware)..but I’m now considering whether to exchange it with another color – cameo.

I’m in dilemma as I never tried on the cameo while I was in the prada store plus my cousin would be the one helping me to exchange it in the store, so I wouldn’t have the chance to try it ..

I’m a Chinese with a darker skin tone and I’m 168cm. I really want to know if cameo will suit me more than marble :) marble is a little bit dull in my opinion. And I don’t want to look old.

Or, is there any advice on how to style with the marble or cameo :) thank u!

46. Hi Elle,

I have read your post on your Prada BN1801 bag.

It’s a very pretty bag, I’m thinking of getting one in the black colour. Since you’ve had the bag for awhile, I want to hear how you feel about the wear and tear of the bag. I have on the purseforum that the bag easily changes shapes, the glazing on the handle peels off easily, the corners of the can easily be chipped and the hardware colour can tarnish. Have you had any of hose problems with your Prada saffiano bags?

Also, if you don’t mind me asking, how tall are you?

Thanks so much,
    Linda

• Hi Linda I’m so sorry for my late reply!! I actually haven’t had any of those problems with my Prada. In fact it still looks brand new. The only thing I can see happening is probably the shape changing in the future but not so much the other problems! I’m 160cm. Hope this helps!!!

47. Hi Elle, I came across your post as I was trying to decide between 1801 (bluette) and Gucci Soho shoulder bag (with chain ) in black. I know they are such different bags but um confused coz I like the gucci soho a lot but think its wiser to spend on a prada perhaps. thoughts?

48. Hi Elle, after read your forum , i decided to get the bn1801 in black , love so
    Much.. Before that I was debating between 2274 and 1801. Since I am not using for work I take bn1801.. It’s a gorgeous bag.. This my fist time bought smaller size usually always buy the medium size. I am not that tall but not too skinny as well.. But I don’t care it’s still nice bag right ?

• Hi Christine! It is a beautiful bag and you have definitely made the right decision! =)

49. hi do you know which bag on the US prada site is the BN1801? I”m having a hard time finding it on the prada site.

50. hi , may i know what is the differences between BN1801 and BN2274 and F0002? Do you know which model is classic bag?

51. I think black! You cant go wrong and u can take it to work too! :)

Elle